[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - slickensides or shock planes?

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 05:57:46 -0700 (PDT)

Morning Jim?? How, you ask?

Take two large meteoroids and wack them together at incredible speeds.? What is not vaporized or pulverized will sheer and move in an opposite vector to relieve compressional forces where the two meteoroids "interfaced". The compression varies according to the macro surface: where there are ridges/bumps on one body, the other body at that junction will see more compressional force and where there are valleys one will see less compressional and vice versa.? The rupture of the matrix is nature's way of balancing the competition for space and the kinetic energy vectors: the inertia thingy. We know it as equal and opposite reactions.? Since silicate is not elastic, it will break and areas of it will be displaced relative to the other side of the fracture. Since the rupture is rarely even, the two sides will grind against each other leaving skid marks all other things considered.

Both the energy and masses have to return to balance after the impact. Slickensides represent areas of the original body where sheer exceeds physical bonds and will be displaced to accommodate the compression forces(solids don't compress but they do respond to compressional forces)

Elton