[meteorite-list] NASA Statement on Space Technology Meetings in Europe

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 11:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

May 24, 2013

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1730
david.steitz at nasa.gov

RELEASE: 13-150

NASA STATEMENT ON SPACE TECHNOLOGY MEETINGS IN EUROPE

WASHINGTON -- The following is a statement from NASA's associate
administrator for space technology, Michael Gazarik, about his
meetings this week in Europe to discuss potential cooperation on
development of space technologies that will enable NASA's future
missions. These include the asteroid initiative announced in the
president's fiscal year 2014 budget proposal.

"During my meetings this week with the German Space Agency, DLR; the
European Space Program, ESA; and the French Space Program, CNES, I
had an opportunity to view and learn about our partner's areas of
technology focus and expertise and begin the process of identifying
areas of potential cooperation in space technology. Our working-level
discussions proved to be informative and productive. Our meetings
also allowed me to share NASA's plans for our new asteroid
initiative. NASA recognizes cooperation and collaboration are
critical to meet increasingly global challenges. I look forward to
working with our partners as we create the new knowledge and
capabilities needed to enable the space missions of the future."

Gazarik is head of NASA's Space Technology Mission Directorate, which
is innovating, developing, testing and flying hardware for use in
NASA's future missions.

For more information about NASA's Space Technology Mission
Directorate, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/spacetech

-end-