[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk - slickensides or shock planes?

From: Jim Wooddell <jim.wooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 15:17:49 -0700

Hi Bernd!

Doesn't sound like that discussion came to any conclusion. I think there
was one in 2003 too!

I think this discussion has been going on since prior to 1966, ref the
abstract link I posted.
I do see striations and typically the slickensides I am familiar with
are typically larger, not tiny parts of very small rocks. Hundreds of
pictures of it on the web.
I'd really like to see a scientific explanation for them in meteorites
as very small parts of small rocks as they are being defined. Sort of
looking around for an explanation and haven't found anything at this
time. The ones in Anne's pictures, for example, are not part of an
individual clast that could have been a bigger rock that had
slickensides and you can clearly see breccias suggesting that feature
happened after things came together. I think I also see a contiguous
border, not strings that are continuous which, to me, would indicate it
part of something bigger.
Then how to explain a weak boundary that just happens to contain
slickensides considering how these boundaries were formed in the first
place! I love it!

Jim