[meteorite-list] OT (slightly) Pennsylvania Geologic Survey Publication Giveaway and Free PDF Files

From: Paul H. <inselberg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 21:54:04 -0400

The following letter about a giveaway of Pennsylvania
Geologic Survey publications has been circulating among
rock and mineral societies in Pennsylvania and posted
to the Fossil Forum at:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/37321-free-pennsylvania-geologic-survey-material-via-pdf-giveaway/

Noticed the May 20th ? 24th deadline for picking up
hard copies of the free Pennsylvania Geologic Survey
publications from the giveaway.

++++ start of posted letter ++++

Good day,

Sales of all PA Geological Survey publication, except for SP 1,
The Geology of Pennsylvania, ceased at the end of April. With
a few exceptions, all publications of the Fourth Geological
Survey, including those that have long been out of print,
have been scanned and are available for downloaded from
our website at:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/publications/pgspub/index.htm

Before we recycle the remaining stock of printed publications,
we will offer them free to the public during the week of
May 20, 2013. If you are interested in acquiring any of these
publications you can visit our office during the week. Also
included in this give away will be a random selection of
publications (ours, USGS, and others) that have accumulated
throughout the building especially in our library. Most of
these are used publications, many of which have been
returned to us from other libraries.

Be aware that we have no list of what publications are
available but the selection of our sales publications includes
a few Atlases and Progress Reports plus a wider selection
of Water and Mineral Resource reports. Also available are
significant quantities of two (1:500,000) poster-sized maps -
Map 65 the digital shaded-relief map and Map 67, the
geologic shaded-relief map. The PA Geological Survey will
continue to give away most of its free publications such as the
educational series and various page-sized maps. For that
reason, those publications will not be a part of this giveaway.

The giveaway will be conducted out of the core library in the
basement of our building in Middletown. Directions to our
office can be found at:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/about/index.aspx

Reservations are not required; however, to make sure we have
staff adequate to assist everyone; we would appreciate it if you
would contact Jody Smale, our librarian, jsmale at pa.gov) and let
her know generally when you expect to stop in. All scavenging
and hauling must be done in person, during that week. We will
not package, ship, or store publications for you.

We are conducting this event to give our fans one last opportunity
to obtain our classic publications in their original form. This event
is not for book dealers or anyone else who hopes to make a buck
at the expense of the taxpayers of Pennsylvania.

From

Michael E. Moore P.G. | Geologist Manager
PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey
3240 Schoolhouse Road | Middletown, PA 17057

++++ end of letter ++++

Yours,

Paul H.