[meteorite-list] Guesstimate on number of meteorite collectors.

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 11:53:18 -0700 (PDT)

Don,

I guess I make the first attempt at answering some of your questions.

The number of reputable meteorite dealers is limited and the number of full time meteorite dealers significantly limited. I do not understand why you call the situation of so many sellers a fiasco. From my perspective, I think it is great and an indication that our universe is expanding and new people are getting into the avocation/vocation. These are all signs of a thriving and growing market. Does that mean more competition, yes, but this is no different than any other market place.

Hardcore/high end collectors, as I understand it, have very private relationships with one or a handful of highly regarded and trusted dealers. These types of customers take years to cultivate and we will only see or hear about them on occasion. Hard core collectors of more modest means make sacrifices and tradeoffs. I still drive my 1999 Honda Civic but could have bought many a new car if not for the wonderful art and meteorites I have collected and have enriched my life over the years.

Trying to understand the motivations of why people keep buying the same thing is important to best serve your customers, but not something to bemoan. The dealers that sell the same items have found a successful niche and more power to them. Dealers know that they need to play to their strengths and service their customers in the best way possible.

I think it is disingenuous to assume that collectors out there get/got their money from mom and dad. Our community should embrace all collectors of whatever means and get them excited about something we are all (hopefully) passionate about.

I did not answer your fundamental question of the number of total collectors out there and in some sense it does not matter. As long as the answer is that the number is growing, it's all good!

Mendy Ouzillou