[meteorite-list] Digital Camera for Studio Photography

From: Jim Wooddell <jimwooddell_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:33:51 -0700

 It does kinda sound like a strange sore of camera setup for macros
but you and easily move around a metal flake in a chondrite and take
nice pictures of it.
The BH base is anywhere from $15 to $60. You chop the head off so
that just the vertical part of the shaft is left. You mount the
channel iron to it. It's about 18" long. Then, you mount the bellows
($20-$100) to that and the bellows mount will allow course focus
adjustment. A 1:1 lens with a bellows makes a huge difference on
close-ups. With the objective adapter, it becomes a very powerful
microscope.
So, you end up with vertical adjustment. With the X-Y stage ($20-$300
if it did not come with the base) you can move it the object around,
take multiple pictures for stacking, etc. With the right stage, you
can use reflective or passive light, do thin section stuff and the
works. And the camera can plug into the computer and you can see
video of the object. Very cool set up if you like that sort of thing.

This is of course for smaller objects!

Jim