[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Michael Farmer <mike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:07:49 -0700

I have recently had a problem with an old man in North Dakota, something tells me that more people in this list have had some experience with him lately,
Last year I got a box full of rocks and a nice letter and $20 for my time, to look at and let him know what they were. Unsolicited and uninvited the box arrived at my door. I looked at them all, they were typical glacial rocks of all types. I told him none were meteorites. Late last year I got another box, it arrived the day before I left for Japan for the third trip to Asia in three weeks. I emailed him and told him I would look at them when I got home from the show in Japan. I returned, and only 5 days later rushed off to Sri Lanka for that scam fall.
When I returned I had like 5 calls and emails demanding to know why I had not finished the analysis of his 20 samples and that I was clearly blowing him off! I finally got around to looking at the same crap, glacial rocks of all kinds and colors. None were meteorites. I spoke to him, told him none were meteorites. He sent them in a large flat-rate box, and he enclosed a SMALL flat-rate box to return some pieces that were not his. One of them was a large piece of jade or something green about 1 kilo. it would not fit into such a small box, so I threw it away, he told me I could keep it (I would have a thousand such things if I kept them all).
About a month later I got a nasty letter, saying that he knew they were all meteorites and I was a con-man, stealing and selling his pieces. He demanded return of the jade piece (which was thrown in the trash already). He demanded that I send him detailed analysis from a lab of what the stones were to prove I was not a charlatan.
I kept the $20 he sent and have not bothered to waste my time responding again.
I no longer am interested in accepting samples from anyone. It is not worth my time to waste on these people who are so sure they are instant millionaires.
I never requested nor authorized him to send me anything but I responded and took my time to let him know that none were meteorites and returned the ones he requested be returned. My thanks, being called a liar and thief and fraud:)
So don't expect everyone to fall to their knees when you ask them to identify something. Most of us dealers have put up with these nuts for decades and are pretty jaded at this point.

Michael Farmer

Sent from my iPad