[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 13:55:02 -0400

Wow! I am a member of the good old boys club now. I never thought I
would be accepted, since I am a Johnny Come Lately. If you actually
knew me, or the market, you'd know I am locked out of the good old
boys club - they don't like me. They literally have my photo on the
door and it says "DO NOT LET THIS GUY IN." LOL.

Well folks, somebody show me the secret handshake and let me know the
location of the secret "Meteorite Black Market" that was mentioned in
the NYT.

Peter, nobody here is trying to be tool. You came and asked for
opinions and got them. If you don't like what you heard, don't shoot
the messenger. I have found the members of this list to be extremely
helpful to newbies and people with questions.

I have seen rocks, like the ones in your photos, a million times and
there is 99% chance they are not meteorites - judging by the photos
alone, which is always difficult at best. If you feel strongly that
you have some new type of meteorite or some hitherto-unseen variant of
meteorite, then by all means follow up on it and don't be discouraged.
 Take it to someone local who is qualified and let them examine/test
it first-hand.

Once a person has been around the meteorite scene long enough, you
become a bit jaded towards unknown rock inquiries. I literally get
dozens of these a month from all corners of the world. In the last 7
years, I have seen hundreds of suspect rocks, possibly thousands, from
hopeful finders. I try to point some of them in the right direction,
but many people just don't want to hear anything negative (or what
they perceive as negative) about their specimens.

Some members of this don't have good bedside manner, so to speak. I
have been one of those people at times, but I am working on improving
that lately. But, despite the attitudes sometimes, there are a lot of
very experienced and knowledgeable people on this list. I would dwell
on how they delivered they opinion - instead, I would focus on the one
thing that several qualified people agree on - that your stones do not
look like any known meteorite, or they have some characteristics that
suggest they are terrestrial.

And you have to consider that many members of this list have had bad
experiences with consulting the general public about meteorites - one
dealer had a creepy guy look him up on Google Earth, and showed up
unannounced on his doorstep with a box of meteorwrongs. We've had
abuse hurled at us, obscenities, 3am phone calls, and even the
occasional threat - all because some people are unable to accept
"bad" news that their rock is terrestrial.

Peter, seriously, take it somewhere local and have it looked at.
Before you do that, do a streak test, a specific gravity test and
possibly a nickel test - that will narrow down the possibilities until
you can get it to a lab. If the lab says it is a meteorite, then
we'll gladly eat crow for it. ;)

Best regards,

MikeG

--