[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Pict <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 04:27:07 -0700

Martin,
With respect.

(1) I strongly suspect many meteorites are gravitationally differentiated.
Extraterrestrial cumulates are thought to exist, and irons and pallasites
would probably not be formed in the absence of gravity. Large asteroids
are eminently large enough to have gravity effect their composition. Vesta
is unlikely to be homogenous. In fact in the absence of gravity it is hard
for me to personally see how any magma can be differentiated into denser
and less dense components. In the absence of gravity a vast boiling
solution of 'rock' would just result in a relatively homogenous froth of
gaseous bubbles and minerals would it not? However I agree that small
scale compositional layering due to gravity is rare, but terrestrial
weathering may produce layering where the internal composition is
unaltered and the exterior is mineralogically and chromatically distinct.

(2) I have a piece of Norton County with a fusion crust that can
realistically be described as frothy. Bubbles have formed on the exterior
to the extent that a tunnel has formed through the crust. A vesicular
exterior to a meteorite is not unseen.

Peter,
Everybody that has commented thus far has eminently more experience in the
visual identification of meteorites than you or I. Looking at the replies
you received, I see that Anne Black wrote "very, very terrestrial", the
complement of which would be 'very, very unlikely to be from outer space'.
Graham Ensor tempered his opinion of your images as "typical" of slag. The
opinions were honest, devoid of ego or any semblance of arrogance, and
most certainly did not resemble a "vociferous outcry". They did
communicate to you politely, and in good faith, how unlikely it was in
their opinion, that the rocks depicted in the images were meteorites. You
ponied up some snaps, speculated they might be Park Forest, asked if they
might be meteorites, and solicited an opinion. You got two, which to my
mind were fairly worded interpretations of the evidence you provided.
Apparently you have taken exception to these opinions, which is your
right. However if you required a qualitative exposition of the reasoning,
would it not have been a better strategy to politely ask for it, rather
than be such a boor?

Everybody, here, that I am aware of, will try, and help, if they are
inclined. However, please, try, and be a bit more polite, if the initial
response, does not meet your expectations. In chief, you seem to have
imparted, an unfathomable desire, it being untenable as well as
resoundingly unplumbed, to go to bed with Jane Austen. My library is
elsewhere, and my kindle is indisposed.

Regards,
John

On 22/03/2013 23:55, "Martin Altmann" <altmann at meteorite-martin.de> wrot