[meteorite-list] A Bunch of Irregular Stones I Found (+How I Think They May Have Originated)

From: Peter Richards <pedrichards_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:58:11 -0500

-This stone seems to have a feature which suggests a (modified) layer
of the stone was once in a malleable state, and, also, under pressure,
appearing as if it has been folded back (on the left side of the
stone, note what was revealed is duller in texture, and more grey than
the glassy outer surface)::
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67498324 at N08/8580370971/in/set-72157633060844363/
-This has a surface with a "bubbly" appearance, suggesting liquid
material collected before concretizing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67498324 at N08/8580364375/in/set-72157633060844363/
-Here is a shot of the collected masses from a vicinity about the size
of a very small house:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67498324 at N08/8580374795/in/set-72157633060844363/lightbox/
The location where these were collected, incidentally, is due north of
the location where many of the heavier Park Forest fragments were
found, and well within the constraints, of course, of known strewn
field dispersion, which has led me to believe these may have been a
part of the same fall, and undetected for a number of reasons,
including the commonality of gunshots in the area (especially true ten
years ago if I understand correctly), and rather poor air quality
which might have led people living nearby to remain oblivious of any
new arrivals such as these would have been, according to my theory.
Some are very dense, and others are less so. I understood that there
were two main types of material recovered in Park Forest, and wonder
whether any additional variety prospectively found here might
represent the remains from an asteroidal impact, or something of that
sort.

Peter Richards