[meteorite-list] Found this article: Possible risks of eBay sales of Chelyabinsk meteorite fragments

From: Mendy Ouzillou <ouzillou_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 17:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

Like one of the great Russian novels, the laws appear to be ambiguous, full of characters and will take a while to get through.

As a funny point, many of the recent meteorites were not found below ground level. My understanding is that they were actually found above ground captured by the snow. So the argument given in the article is null and void.

The other great one is:?If a meteorite is not a life-threatening object, if it is not a health hazard, if it has no scientific value, and if it does not contain precious and non-ferrous metals, then under Article 221 of the Civil
Code of the Russian Federation it becomes the property of the person who found it,? says Taltseva."

Talk about getting it all wrong!

If they do pass any kind of law, I wonder if they will "grandfather" in previous falls and finds, most notably Sikhote Alin, Seymchan, etc.

Mendy Ouzillou