[meteorite-list] Chelyabinsk meteorite

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 22:14:02 +0000

Hello Peter, Count, List,

> Has anyone else noticed these or other
> interesting characteristics of this meteorite?

As far as I know its preliminary classification is LL5 (S4; W0).

As with Millbillillie, quite a few Chelyabinsk meteorites seem to be
flight-oriented or at least flight-marked. I have a hunch that this has
something to do with the entry / flight / explosion dynamics.

Maybe the violent disruption of the original meteoroid (the spectacular,
double cloud trail!) caused numerous fragments to be "propelled" into
an almost or quasi-stable flight orientation when the meteoroid plunged
into and hurtled through the denser layers of the atmosphere.

Cheers,

Bernd