[meteorite-list] Origin of chondrules

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:15:25 -0400

The fact of the matter is that it is not hard to poke holes in all
theories of chondrule origins. It's good that ideas get aired in the
scientific literature. This model is valuable, even if it does not do a
good job at explaining all the properties of chondrules. In fact, it is
very possible that there are multiple sources for chondrules. We know
that some asteroids melted, and we know that impacts between these
bodies are common occurrences. So this kind of process DID happen,
almost for sure. In striving for the truth about what happened and how
chondrules formed, we need to consider all of the possible avenues. If
there was an easy, single answer, we would have figured out this problem
long ago.

Jeff

On 3/13/2013 10:44 AM, Mendy Ouzillou wrote:
> Peter,
>
> No one disputes science is messy, but Jim's point is valid. Drs. Rubin and Grossman have forgotten more than I will likely know in regards to meteoritics, but I also feel a bit frustrated. I expect papers in a journal like "Meteoritics and Planetary Science" to be thoroughly reviewed before being published. It's not an issue of a few esoteric differences, it's about the paper as a whole being rejected by esteemed and respected meteoriticists.
>
> Again, Jim's question is valid. Was this paper peer reviewed? I'm sure it was, which leads to the next question. How was it allowed to be published if it is so far off?
>
> The answer is important to me because I do not have the time to read everything. I have time to read selected books and articles and want to make sure I am properly furthering my education.
>
> Best,
>
> Mendy Ouzillou
>
> On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:05 PM, "Peter Scherff" <PeterScherff at rcn.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I find this all delightful. Science is messy. Theories compete for
> acceptance. The one that best fits the facts and is able to predict future
> discoveries wins!
> If I wanted absolute truths I would read books that the religions of
> the world are based on.
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

>>> 3845 Slichter Hall