[meteorite-list] Astrobiologists Find Ancient Fossils inFireballFragments

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:39:30 -0400

Hi Count, Phil, List, and Innocent Bystanders,

I have to chime in a bit here on a more serious note.

I think there is merit to the idea of panspermia. I am not convinced
that panspermia explains any of the lifeforms or living processes here
on Earth, but that does not mean the idea is baseless.

We have been bombarded for billions of years by objects that contain
water and the precursors of organic compounds, amino acids, etc.
Injecting this material into the crucible of primitive Earth could
result in changes to the evolution of life that would not have
occurred without the addition of those extraterrestrial ingredients.
We may owe our existence to comets and meteorites. Or maybe not.

But, the most fervent proponents of the panspermia theory are throwing
caution and scientific method to the wind. They look for evidence to
support their views and they find it. They selectively ignore valid
questions about their methodology and the integrity of their evidence.

Wickramasinghe is not doing the panspermia theory any favors. Whether
or not there is any validity to the theory is trumped by his
questionable methods. Also, publishing anything at all in the
so-called "Journal of Cosmology" is not the way to gain any respect or
consideration.

A lot of people want to believe that panspermia played a role in the
development of life on Earth and elsewhere - it's an enticing and
romantic idea that opens many doors of possibility for the frequency
of life in the cosmos. But Wickramasinghe is not convincing me of
this. I bet the credible proponents of the theory wish they could
squelch this guy, because he is adding a lot noise to the panspermia
signal.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - I do happen to believe in "panspermia", but please don't put me
in Wickramasinghe's camp. ;)

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/GalacticStone