[meteorite-list] NWA5400

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:41:12 -0600

Hi Pete,

Aubrites and enstatite chondrites also plot on the oxygen isotope
terrestrial fractionation line (TFL) and up to now they are not proven
to be from planets. So being on the TFL doesn't make the meteorite
planetary. But I guess it depends on your definition of "planetaries",
I would only put lunars and martians in that category, but not HEDs.
Last time I checked, 4 Vesta the hypothesized HED parent body, was
still an asteroid, not a planet. I see no reason to consider NWA 5400
"planetary". On the other hand, if someone did an age-date on it, and
it came up with a crystallization age much more recent than ~4.5 B.Y.,
then things would get interesting. This is because asteroidal
achondrites have ages ~4.5 B.Y., whereas planets tend to have younger
basalts. Likewise, the search for meteorites from Mercury or Venus
should include igneous crystallization ages as part of the "proof".

Carl Agee

Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126