[meteorite-list] How much will your meteorites be worth in the FUTURE?

From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 03:38:35 -0700

Hello Steve,

I agree, we're unlikely to launch asteroids into space. Doing so is
prohibitively expensive, both in Delta-V and in having to create the
asteroid to toss it out there in the first place...

_Returning_ materials from an asteroid would actually be quite cost-effective -
gravity does all the work.

As far as "most Hurricanes [sic]" [starting] over the area of a rocket
launch:

How many rocket launches are occurring off the coast of Africa
anyway? I wasn't aware they were lobbing so much stuff into space
there!

Hurricanes form when 80F+ (26.5C+) water of at least 150ft (45.7m) coincide
with an area of low atmospheric pressure. Winds are attracted into
the center of that depression, pushed by areas of higher pressure.
The warm water heats the air and it rises up from the center of the
depression. The ocean coughs-up the warm waters and high moisture
content, feeding it energy, and it begins to rise faster and faster
around the center. Thermodynamics does the rest.

If everything works-out for it, conditions-wise, that tropical
depression will develop into a tropical storm and finally into the
swirling maelstrom of a hurricane. By the time it hits the US it is
radically weakening due to the much colder waters and air. They die
before penetrating very far because they just can't last in the
cold[er] air, there's just not enough energy to extract from it.

As much as anyone might desire to HAARP on "alternative speculation"
- it's hard to alter the physics.

--- Jodie