[meteorite-list] Russia Finds 'New Bacteria' In Antarctic Lake

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 19:06:05 -0800 (PST)

http://phys.org/news/2013-03-russia-bacteria-antarctic-lake.html

Russia finds 'new bacteria' in Antarctic lake
AFP
March 7, 2013

Russian scientists believe they have found a wholly new type of bacteria
in the mysterious subglacial Lake Vostok in Antarctica, the RIA Novosti
news agency reported on Thursday.

The samples obtained from the underground lake in May 2012 contained a bacteria
which bore no resemblance to existing types, said Sergei Bulat of the
genetics laboratory at the Saint Petersburg Institute of Nuclear Physics.

"After putting aside all possible elements of contamination, DNA was
found that did not coincide with any of the well-known types in the global
database," he said.

"We are calling this life form unclassified and unidentified," he added.

The discovery comes from samples collected in an expedition in 2012 where a
Russian team drilled down to the surface of Lake Vostok, which is believed
to have been covered by ice for more than a million years but has kept its
liquid state.

Lake Vostok is the largest subglacial lake in Antarctica and scientists have
long wanted to study its eco-system. The Russian team last year drilled almost four
kilometres (2.34 miles) to reach the lake and take the samples.

Bulat said that the interest surrounded one particular form of bacteria whose
DNA was less than 86 percent similar to previously existing forms.

"In terms of work with DNA this is basically zero. A level of 90 percent usually
means that the organism is unknown."

He said it was not even possible to find the genetic descendants of the bacteria.

"If this had been found on Mars everyone would have undoubtedly said there is life
on Mars. But this is bacteria from Earth."

Bulat said that new samples of water would be taken from Lake Vostok during a new
expedition in May.

"If we manage to find the same group of organisms in this water we can say for sure
that we have found new life on Earth that exists in no database," Bulat
said.

Exploring environments such as Lake Vostok allows scientists to discover what life
forms can exist in the most extreme conditions and thus whether life could exist on
some other bodies in the solar system.

There has long been excitement among some scientists that life theoretically
could exist on Saturn's moon Enceladus and the Jupiter moon Europa as
they are believed to have oceans, or large lakes, beneath their icy shells.

The possibility that the lake existed had first been suggested by a Soviet
scientist in 1957. Scientific research drilling in the area started in
1989 and the lake's existence was confirmed only in 1996.

The drilling project is of major importance for the prestige of science in
Russia and Russian leader Vladimir Putin was given a sample of water from Lake
Vostok last year when the expedition began.