[meteorite-list] Membrane boxes go boom?

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 17:23:18 +0000

A completely unofficial count:
Of the 12 membrane boxes I have, about half of them are going cloudy.? All but one are meteorites; the other is a Louisiana opal (sandstone matrix).? Fortunately, none of the professional displays (enclosed labels) or specks it would be problematic to rebox (Martians) have decayed yet, although that may be coming.? I mainly use the membrane boxes when I have a specimen whose aesthetics are enhanced by being able to see (through) both sides, or if it came that way.? If you use membrane boxes to create those nifty display boxes with elaborate inside labels, you may want to take their apparent shelf life into consideration.? My meteorites are not in a climate controlled area, although once a specimen goes in a gem jar or box, it generally stays there and has limited exposure to the outside air.

Best!
Tracy Latimer