[meteorite-list] Frustrated over some sellers pages

From: Sean T. Murray <stm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 12:02:20 -0500

Folks,

IMHO, I like seeing other specimens on the same page that are already
sold... though I agree that web page design can eliminate some confusion by
having a section for available and a section for sold. Many times when I am
searching for specimens and history on the Web - it's great to see other
examples of the same material... even if it is already sold.

As for the issue of maintenance - yes - it can be troublesome. But work
with your Webmasters. There are multiple ways to handle quick updates for
material that is no longer available, including having dynamic pages that
reference a "SOLD" or "ARCHIVE" flag for each specimen. Then, updates can
be rapid and painless if you take the extra up-front time on your site
design.

Another thing for folks to consider is provenance. I can't count the number
of times I've researched a specimen I acquired that has passed through a few
collections / dealers. It's nice to see your exact specimen on an old site
page that is still listed. I usually screen-capture the page and print out
a page to store with the documentation for the specimen. In a few cases,
I've found provenance information that I did not know existed. Always a
bonus!

S.