[meteorite-list] ALTERNATIVE dealing with eBay Fraud! JASON, be carefull what you say about my meteorites on the Meteorite List, I am warning you...

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 20:59:48 -0500

Hi Jodie and List,

My method of driving traffic is pretty simple - invest heavily in
social media, message boards, mailing lists, and any other venue where
you can insert your URL without it being spammy. I stop short of
spam, because I hate it so much.

It's not digging ditches, but I spend at least 8 hours a day, every
day, driving traffic online. It is time-consuming, but one can make a
routine out of it. And once you start getting thousands of
friends/followers/connections on each of those social media sites, the
traffic will then start generating sales. I just got to a point
where eBay was not cost-effective for me.

My method is not for everyone. If you hate sites like Facebook or
Twitter, then it won't work for you. You have to embrace these new
venues and utilize them. Pinterest is the hot social media site now,
and I have already started generating sales from there.

Also, take advantage of sites that offer you a free store, like
Bonanza and eCrater. With Bonanza, you only pay a fee when an item
sells and that fee is small compared to eBay's final value fees. I
generate regular sales from both of those sites as well.

Let me qualify the above with this - if you are someone who has a
dedicated traffic base on eBay, then your experience is obviously
different than mine. Some sellers, like Adam and Greg Hupe, have an
established eBay following and that is obviously a worthwhile venue
for them to sell. But, for someone new or without a dedicated
following, eBay is no longer the sole venue to consistently generate
revenue for small businesses.

My experience with eBay was always hit and miss, so giving it up as a
seller was a no-brainer for me.

Here is a good link for gauging what is hot on eBay -
http://www.whatsellsbest.com/active/collectibles.php

Notice, meteorites are not mentioned anywhere in the top listings,
search terms, or sales for the overall site. Meteorites are an
after-thought on eBay, if they are noticed at all.

But Jodie touched on something else as well - setting yourself apart
from other sellers, and that is almost impossible to do on eBay
because your listings get lost in the overwhelming masses of millions
of listings.

If eBay were to lower their fees and adopt a "pay only on sale" policy
(like Bonanza), then I would go back and give it another try as a
seller there. But as it stands now, I will only buy on eBay. If you
see me selling anything on eBay, it's either the Christmas shopping
season or somebody needs a kidney transplant.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - thanks again for keeping us updated with the Chebarkul info. :)

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/GalacticStone