[meteorite-list] NASA and Korean Space Agency Discuss Space Cooperation

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

July 29, 2013

David Weaver/Michael Braukus
Headquarters, Washington
david.s.weaver at nasa.gov / michael.j.braukus at nasa.gov
202-358-1600 / 202-358-1979

RELEASE 13-235

NASA and Korean Space Agency Discuss Space Cooperation

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and the president of the Korea Aerospace
Research Institute (KARI), Seung Jo Kim, met in Washington Monday to discuss
collaboration in aeronautics research and space exploration, including KARI's
robotic lunar mission and NASA's asteroid initiative.

This was the first meeting between Bolden and Kim.

"Our two agencies share a mutual interest in aeronautics research, and have
identified opportunities for collaboration," said Bolden. "We also have
partnered for several years in the International Space Exploration
Coordination Group and are looking forward to continued discussions on
potential cooperation in space exploration."

Bolden and Kim also discussed NASA's plans for a new asteroid initiative,
previously announced in President Obama's fiscal year 2014 budget proposal.
Kim welcomed the chance to discuss opportunities for collaboration.

NASA's asteroid initiative involves robotically capturing a small near-Earth
asteroid and redirecting it safely to a stable lunar orbit where astronauts
can explore it.

Capturing and redirecting an asteroid integrates the best of NASA's science,
technology and human exploration capabilities and draws on the innovation of
America's brightest scientists and engineers. The knowledge gained from the
initiative will help us protect our planet, advance exploration capabilities
and technologies for human spaceflight, and help us better utilize our space
resources.

For more information about NASA visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-