[meteorite-list] 50th anniversary of first Lucerne Dry Lake find

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 19:05:06 -0700

Hello friends,

Exactly fifty years ago today, Ron Hartman found Lucerne Valley 001. It was not the first meteorite ever recovered from a dry lake bed, but it was the first time that a desert playa was specifically targeted as an optimal surface for meteorite hunting. Ron's insightful theory was immediately rewarded with a nice 15.8 gram L6 on his first Lucerne outing, and established an effective strategy to be employed by generations of meteorite hunters to follow. Hundreds of meteorites have since been recovered and classified from dry lake beds.

On a personal note, it was Ron Hartman who first encouraged me to try hunting for meteorites. And, as it happens, my own first find was also made at Lucerne Dry Lake, so I feel especially indebted to Ron for that experience and for his encouragement.

I was honored to spend the day today with another great California meteorite hunter, Bob Verish. We took a picture together with our own LV finds, in Ron's memory:

http://tinyurl.com/ms2lzlx

On behalf of all dry lake bed meteorite hunters, thank you, Ron! RIP

Doug Ross
doug at dougross.net