[meteorite-list] Nwa 7034

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:37:58 -0800 (PST)

Alan, Agee and Listers

I have been reading what everyone has been saying and find it interesting the lexicon that has been used in the past and today in the meteoritic world. In the 1800's the use of thunder-stone, lightning stones, auralite was a house hold name for stones falling from the?sky. I think it wasnt till the mid 1800's that meteorite was the word that would denote all stones that fell from the heavens, and to this day, meteorite has made it through time, unlike?the other names because I think technology has allowed us to dismiss?how?meteorites were formed.?

I do agree?Alan,?names and terms will be used till we find no use for them.?Just think in 100 years from now when we have the means to mine from Mars and or live on?Mars, will meteorites be the thing of the past from that planet??But I also do feel we need names, categories to?distinguish one type of meteorite from another and feel that will help categorize them as such allow?allow scientist and?collectors a like to differentiate meteorites and where they come from.

Lastly, the naming of NWA 7034...... What about Nilelite??The Nile river and NWA 7034 ( highest amount of water). Also we could just keep it at NWA 7034 Martian (basaltic breccia) which would be in accordance with ALH 84001 Martian (OPX) An orthopyroxene-rich martian meteorite.

?Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
ebay store
http://www.ebay.com/sch/imca1633nyc/m.html