[meteorite-list] Nwa 7034

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:03:46 -0500

Alan, Carl, Jeff, Ted, Bernd, Martin, Adam, Greg, MikeG, List,
All due respect to all view points here but, there are certain terms that were a good idea that never really caught on such as "RALEWITE". I think this was first brought to our attention by Martin back in May of 2009 if you look in the list archives.
This best describes a phenomena that so far has only been seen in one "fall" that I know of but as a hunter is an extremely important discovery made by and named in honor of Stefan Ralew. Because after all hunters are the first in the discovery process.
This observation was made in recognition of a very unusual " rubble" mixture of fusion crustal material and tiny rocks found on the exterior which penetrated well into the interior of the Tamedaght meteorite fall. This mixture of bits and pieces of the main mass itself mixed in with melted fusion crust material is a sight to see because it is a very thick layer. Too thick to be a normal fusion crust. If we did not know it was from an observed fall, most people would not even have acknowledged that it was part of a real meteorite.
I have been actively around meteorites since 1989 and attend the Tucson show every year to look at rocks and I have only seen this TAMEDAGHT PHENOMENA once. This "fusion crust type" is so rare it deserves it's own name in order that it does not get overlooked by future hunters as a "meteorwrong". (sorry I don't have any of my own pictures to post)
Carl, Another potentially good reason for NWA 7034 having it's own name is because it may open a flood gate that has previously been locked shut. I mean had I shown a water rich breccia "Meteorite prospect" to an accredited meteoriticist before now they would have sent me on my way and not given it a second look. This fact alone deserves a huge high five to Dr. Carl Agee. Thank you so much for not sending this amazing discovery to the pigeon hole of meteorwrongs.
Another new Mars rock that deserves acknowledgement (once one is found) is the rover's recent discovery of a rock with Earth -like chemistry, a type which lacks Mg and Fe and is rich in feldspar-like minerals. see link below;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/us-space-mars-idUSBRE89B02Q20121012

Kind Regards,
Carl
meteoritemax