[meteorite-list] 2013 Tucson Gem Show Party Details!

From: Meteorite Men <meteoritemen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:52:42 -0700

Dear Listees:

As most of you know, for the past thirteen years my "Meteorite Men"
co-host, Steve Arnold, and I have held the "Meteor Mayhem Birthday
Bash" in the middle of the Tucson gem show. This is due partly to the
fact that we share the same birthday -- Feb. 1 -- and partly because
we like to do something positive, each year, to bring the meteorite
community together. It's not an easy task, but we try : )

The Birthday Bash started off rather small, at El Charro many years
ago, and has now grown into a major event with live video broadcasts,
award ceremonies, comedy sketches, guest stars, and so on. It is also
a monumental task to organize. With the added responsibility of
exhibiting at two locations during the gem show as well as numerous
science, education, and media obligations, I have discovered that I
cannot devote the amount of time required to properly plan the party.
I know this is a very popular event and I would be sad to cancel it,
especially in light of the fact that a number of people fly in
especially for it, each year.

I am therefore delighted to announce that, as of this year, my
excellent friend Maria Haas will be hosting the event, which we'll
probably now just call the "Meteor Mayhem Bash" or something like
that. Steve and I will still be present, the Harvey Awards will
continue, but we will see some fresh direction and thought put into
the awards and the party. The time has come to happily hand over the
baton.

Maria is the extremely popular Treasurer of the IMCA, a Tucson
resident, and one heck of a good party planner (I know this from
personal experience). With a new host comes a new and exciting venue,
with great live music from local Tucson artists:

The party will be Friday, February 8th, 2013 at:

El Dorado Restaurant & Bar
1949 S 4th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85713

Happy Hour/Cocktails: 7 ? 9 pm

Harvey Awards: 9:00 pm

Live music with: Kevin Pakulis, Amy Langley, and Coyote Supper Club: 10 pm

If this is your first time visiting Tucson and you perhaps feel that
you don't have any friends here, please know you are WARMLY invited.
The party is a great way to meet a very large part of the meteorite
community in one place, at one time. First-timers are *especially*
welcome!

And that's it. It'll be a little different, but it'll also be great.
Steve and I will both be there, I will be considerably less stressed,
and am planning on having a stellar time ?: )

Big thanks to Maria, see you all there, cheers!

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com
www.meteorites.co