[meteorite-list] What I just learned about 'Finds'

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:42:12 -0500

Kevin,
This is why I posted the following question to Jeff that you evidently missed? I had the same concern about how can we be sure the find is from the fall we think it's from? Without a Scientific test it is well, a guess at best. Because as noted in the question to Jeff, Visual Freshness alone matters not. So, other than the case where someone comes home to find a big hole in the roof and a big rock sitting on the floor inside (an obvious unobserved fall) it seems to me their needs to be a verifiable way to prove when it fell otherwise we will see mistakes even if by accident. Because as already stated, " we see falling stars all the time that you could attribute to your find". In my previous post back on the 7th I asked;

" Jeff,
 Thanks once again for your information.
 I have a question;
What degree of accuracy does Science have in calculating the exact time a
meteorite fell? Is this calculation within one day, one week , one month, one
year, or within ten years? which is it and how certain can Science be? Just for
one example of why I ask; If I recall correctly, Farmer found a second fall
find in Spain (name escapes me at the moment but, was in an olive grove?) about
one year later than his first fall find and it still looked fresh. Thanks.
Carl
meteoritemax
--
Cheers