[meteorite-list] MBale

From: Edwin Thompson <etmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:42:06 +0000

Hi Linton,

 looking forward to seeing you and Karen in Tucson this year. When MBale fell in 1992, Cornelius Baijens was in Uganda with a dutch survey group. Cor recovered the bulk of material that was brought out of Uganda. For a couple of years after the fall Cor actively sold specimens and also traded pieces gram for gram for Allende stones with anyone willing to trade. Back in the early 90's Allende sold for between $1.50 and $5.00 per gram and Cor did very well making trades. He comes to Tucson most years and nowadays he sells mostly ancient artifacts. You might find him in Tom Kapitany's room or at Ausrox. If he comes by our room I'll ask him for a weight estimate. MBale is a fascinating chondrite with occasional eucritic clasts in the matrix.The story we were told back in 92 was that the solders broke up the stones because they were told there might be silver and gold in the stones from the sky. Cor would most likely have the best information. We paid Dorothy Norton a large MBale stone among other specimens for o
ur D. Norton original painting of the Crater Lake fireball.That image is now our company logo.

Cheers, Edwin