[meteorite-list] OT: all-sky camera

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 16:08:18 -0700

There are a number of off-the-shelf allsky cameras suitable for your
"other sky phenomena" requirement. But if meteor observing is high on
your list, there are not. For meteors, you want a normal video frame
rate (typically 30 fps), B&W, no integration features, no long exposure
features. You also need an enclosure that will resist dewing and
frosting. I haven't seen anything commercial that meets these requirements.

If you're willing to put your own system together (not very hard), we've
been using this one: http://www.cloudbait.com/projects/allskycamera.html
very successfully for a dozen years now. There is no more sensitive
meteor imager without using image intensifiers. The plans aren't very
detailed, but if you decide to build one I can provide more information.

If you want to record both meteors as well as dim sky phenomena and
nighttime weather, I'd recommend two allsky cameras, as the technical
requirements for the two tasks are very different.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com