[meteorite-list] Poyet T-shirt (and French Fall)

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:14:45 -0800

I have always wondered what the original reference for Poyet's illustration
was and have been unable to find it through any of my resources. As Zelimir
mentioned, Nininger did not credit or reference Poyet's illustration, which
was used on the cover of "Find a Falling Star" (maybe we both missed it?). I
also checked every entry in Brown's bibliography of meteorites for
1882-1884, including Lespiault's and Forquignon's original report on the
fall at St. Caprais in the Comptes des Rendus (1883, V97, pp 1022-23), and
came up no reference for the illustration.

As others have suggested, the most likely event depicted is the St. Caprais
fall. This fall produced a daytime fireball, which would seem to be
consistent with Poyet's illustration. One will note that there are many
farmers about and the horse is saddled with the hay carriage. This would
seem to be an unlikely scene if it were nighttime, so I am assuming this is
a daytime depiction. Thoughts?

It is also possible that Poyet's illustration may have been published as a
stand-alone print. Either way, I am very interested in finding the original
reference or source for it! Keep hunting!

All the best,

Mike

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites
www.HistoricMeteorites.com
and join us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/Meteorites1
IMCA #5765

If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited.