[meteorite-list] MRO HiRISE Images - February 20, 2013

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:47:03 -0800 (PST)

MARS RECONNAISSANCE ORBITER HIRISE IMAGES
February 20, 2013

o Fault in Ius Chasma
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_025231_1720

  This image in Ius Chasma, a portion of the massive canyon
  system Vallis Marineris, draws our attention because a fault
  previously imaged by the Mars Orbiter Camera.

o Cratered Cones in the Cydonia Region
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_025439_2210

  This observation focuses on an unusally high density of cratered
  cones, imaged previously by the Mars Orbiter Camera. These cones
  could possibly be mud volcanoes.

o More Impact Craters from MSL
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_030524_1755

  MSL released 8 tungsten masses during its entry and descent, leaving
  some resulting craters we captured enhanced color.

o Delta Structure in Eberswalde Crater
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/PSP_001336_1560

  This delta is distinguished from other fan-shaped deposits on Mars by
  the presence of a preserved distributary network including lobes,
  inverted channels, and meander cutoffs.

All of the HiRISE images are archived here:

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/

Information about the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is
online at http://www.nasa.gov/mro. The mission is
managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division
of the California Institute of Technology, for the NASA
Science Mission Directorate, Washington, D.C. Lockheed
Martin Space Systems, of Denver, is the prime contractor
and built the spacecraft. HiRISE is operated by the
University of Arizona. Ball Aerospace and Technologies
Corp., of Boulder, Colo., built the HiRISE instrument.