[meteorite-list] Meteoroid/Asteroid Electro-Magnetic Disruption and Charge Properties?

From: Pict <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:41:33 -0700

Chris,

there are indeed obvious differences. However, typically in leak-off tests
you are applying pressure to a relatively small area, maybe inside a
cylinder 6ft long and 1ft in diameter (you might typically drill 2m of new
formation below the casing shoe prior to the test). The rock is however
prestressed by the overburden load and formation pore pressure so that
needs to be overcome to an extent before 'expansional' stress is applied
to the matrix itself. Once the 'preloading' is overcome however, I think
perhaps it is an analogous situation - a small volume of rock with a
significant stress gradient across it. I really was wondering what happens
to the pressure distribution around the meteor when a multitude of
fractures rapidly propagate through a monolithic body offering additional
pathways for pressure equalisation front to rear, and if the resulting
redistribution of pressure through these fracture pathways could be a
mechanism to change a solid body into a dispersed cloud of rubble (i.e.
Blow it up) rather than a fragmented rock continuing in tight formation.
I'm sure it's a complicated scenario to model. Alternatively, the vastly
increased surface area from the near instantaneous formation of a
multitude of pieces might be the cause because of a sharp rise in drag
drastically augmenting thermal dissipation of kinetic energy. Seems an
equally plausible explanation within the confines of my imagination.

Regards,
John