[meteorite-list] Minor Planet families

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 04:26:46 -0700

Hi Graham:

I am far from an asteroid dynamics person, but many (but not all) asteroid
families tend to share compositional similarities and so may very well be
remnants of larger objects that have "recently" been broken up in a
collisional event. The families are usually (but not always) named for
their largest member. This is important in that if members of these
families are in the "right place" in the asteroid belt, their members'
orbits may be perturbed over time into Earth-crossing orbits and then
Earth-impacting orbits, so that they may be the sources of some of the
meteorites we see.

Connecting individual asteroids to classes of meteorites is another story!

Larry