[meteorite-list] Large Meteorite Fragments Found in Russia (including a 1.8 kg fragment)

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:24:33 -0800 (PST)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9893534/Large-meteorite-fragments-found-in-Russia.html
Large meteorite fragments found in Russia
The Telegraph (United Kingdom)
February 25, 2013

Russian scientists on Monday hailed the finding of what they said
was the largest yet fragment of a meteorite that came crashing
through the skies over Siberia and exploded over Russia's Ural
Mountains last week.

The find was among a large number of fragments brought back from the
Federal University of the Urals by a ski expedition team.

"We haven't been able count [the fragments], but we believe it's more
than 100," said Victor Grokhovsky, member of the meteorite committee at
the university.

"But the most significant among them was a fragment, which Masha PInkova
found yesterday evening, not even 24 hours ago, that weighs 1.8
kilograms," he explained. "It's the largest fragment of this meteor that
we have found to this day."

The meteorite hurtled above the Siberian city of Chelyabinsk on February
15, leaving behind a *plume of smoke as it tore through the atmosphere
frightening residents with terrifyingly loud sonic booms.

Locals said they saw a big meteorite fall into ice-covered Chebarkul
Lake leaving a 20ft-wide hole in the ice.