[meteorite-list] What was the true azimuth of the Russian meteor?

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:55:09 -0800

Hi Bjorn,

I've been gone on vacation for 5 days so I don't know if your
question below was adequately answered yet, but there is no
discrepancy between the two pictures. As I pointed out last
week in one of my posts, while the trajectory "appears" to be
parallel to the Kazakhstan/Russian border in the Meteosat-9
image, the meteor was NOT travelling parallel to the ground,
so its ground track was definitely oriented more clockwise
than the ~80-degree azimuth of the country border. From
Meteosat 9's perspective, the bolide was very nearly on
the limb, so you are seeing it severely foreshortened. More
importantly, the east end of the contrail (right side) is
at a higher altitude than the west end. As a result, when
you project the 3D track down to the ground, it will actually
start on the Kazakhstan side of the border. --Rob