[meteorite-list] Casa Grande meteorite-training Brix on the scent. Brix's Pup for sale

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 12:52:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

I had a chance to test Brix with the new meteorite recovery. I was
always curious about the scent that Brix was detecting and how old of a
meteorite he could detect. I had picked up a couple of suspected
meteorites but at closer inspection they turned out to be meteor
wrongs. The meteor wrongs are around 50 - 60g size. I decided to try
and trick Brix by putting both meteor wrongs and meteorite in the
training area. What a great chance to see if Brix could detect a
meteorite that has been lying on the ground for roughly 14 1/2 years.
The meteorites that I have used for his training are 50 - 60g Buzzard
Coulee's.I have an area that I use to train Brix with 12 cement blocks
in a large circle. A meteorite is placed under a block in the center
out of sight. Brix has to detect the meteorite by scent. At different
training times I just toss a couple meteorites into a field with Brix
out of line of sight and then release him in the general area. With
the new Casa Grande meteorite I placed one under a brick and down 5
blocks a meteor wrong to see what he would do. Brix went to the blocks
and started working when he came to the meteor wrong, he slowed down
and did a double take and then moved to the block with the meteorite.
Before the training I move all the blocks and touch everything in the
training area except for the meteorites so my scent is on the blocks .
Brix downed on the block were the meteorite was hiding. I repeated this
training twice and he was able to locate the 18g meteorite both times.
This is a good sign that some of the training is sticking with him.

I am breeding Brix in a with a police department canine. She is a
Belgian Malinois narcotics dog. One of the pups will go back to that
department. I will get pick of the litter. I am not planning on keeping
the pup as Brix is already a full time job. If anyone has an interest
in a pup contact me off list. Price is $1200. There is no guarantee
that the breeding will take but if it does then there will be one
available. Four pups are already spoken for. Brix is registered AKC and
UKC.

Thanks,
Sonny

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/nevadameteorites/New_AZ_Meteorite_Sonny_Clary.html