[meteorite-list] 2012 DA14 and the Russian meteor: a strong link

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:29:29 +0100

Hi Bjorn, (others)

First of all, since you trump the "NASA are the experts and way more educated"
card in an absurd way: NASA is not the only organisation who has educated
experts and they do sometimes miss the obvious. Remember that "fireball over
Wales" that was not a fireball?

I have discovered 60 asteroids myself, including a NEA, and I am currently
involved in a small scale but professional asteroid search project (the Konkoly
survey, MPC 461). I am peer-reviewed published on meteors. So I am not exactly a
"nobody" in this field: I know my orbital mechanics. You have to, to discover
asteroids. I hate dick challenges, but in response to the agressive and
denigrating way you tried to question my expertise, I am tempted to ask you:
"how many asteroids did YOU discover?"

Second, and more to the point: it is you who is flat out wrong. Calculate the
2012 DA14 encounter geometry and you will see that the *combined* vector of
earth orbital movement and asteroid orbital movement (you on the other hand only
look at the asteroids' orbital movement, and that is your mistake) creates an
approach point which, seen form the geocenter, is at declination -81 degrees,
i.e. almost near the southern celestial pole.

Which means that the asteroid (and any fragments in similar orbits dispersed
around it) comes in from deep south under an angle of only 9 degrees with the
Earth's POLAR axis. It is for this reason that 2012 DA14 last Friday was visible
from the southern hemisphere first, and from the northern hemisphere only later,
moving from deep southern celestial declinations to the north.

So you are "flat out wrong", not me. For the reasons I outlined in my earlier
mail and above, fragments of a swarm in the orbit of 2012 DA14 can *never*
impact at 55 north latitude as most of the northern hemisphere represents the
"far side" of the earth as seen from the 2012 DA14 approach direction. It is a
reason similar to that why people in Australia cannot observe the Perseid meteor
shower: they are in the wrong hemisphere as seen from the approach direction of
the meteoroids.

There are multiple ways to approach such an association problem. The classic way
is to compare the bolide's trajectory with what you expect for fragments of the
asteroid. That is what NASA seems to focus on.

But in this particular case, the characteristics of the 2012 DA14 orbital
geometry also provide a clear argument, and knowing the encounter geometry of
the asteroid made this immediately very clear to me.

The point is that the bolides latitude of impact and the approach geometry of
2012 DA14 are very well established facts, even if the bolides' trajectory is
perhaps not. That is the fun of this all: in this case you don't need the
bolides trajectory, only the impact latitude and the 2012 DA14 encounter
geometry, to 100% rule out that this was 2012 DA14 related.

- Marco Langbroek