[meteorite-list] 2012 DA14 and the Russian meteor

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:48:58 -0800

Hi Bjorn,

Okay, let's try this from a solar perspective since it seems you don't like
the geocentric perspective. 2012 DA14 is an Amor that has its aphelion
at just under 1 a.u., and its perihelion at about 0.83 a.u. At the time of
its encounter with earth, it's longitude of ascending node was almost
exactly at the earth's solar longitude. Because their velocities around
the sun are very close to one another, nearly all of the relative velocity
between the two of them is in a direction perpendicular to earth's
orbital plane, owing to 2012 DA14's 11.6-degree inclination. It's like
two jets flying in the same direction at about the same speed, but
one of them is in level flight, and the other is rapidly gaining altitude
(from below the other jet).

So let's pretend that instead of 2012 DA14 being alone, it has a bunch
of companions spread out ahead of it in orbit, behind it, and perhaps
even at slightly different radial distances from the sun. They're still
all going at very nearly the same velocity around the sun, in very
nearly the same orbital plane. What I believe you are suggesting is
that perhaps there was an object leading 2012 DA14 by some number
of hours and that instead of crossing the earth's orbital plane on the
side opposite the sun (as 2012 DA14) did, it crossed on the sunrise
terminator side of the earth -- just ahead of the earth -- and that
the earth then caught up to it from behind (and of course
gravitationally pulled it in as well). So far so good. But here's the
problem: that pesky 11.6 degree inclination. Just as with 2012 DA14's
relative velocity, your candidate object has nearly all of its relative
velocity in a direction fairly closely aligned with earth's pole. As
such, any resulting bolide in the northern hemisphere would have
to be moving quite close to a south-to-north trajectory, and we
know that the Russian bolide did not do this. That's why I keep
mentioning the 90-degree angle problem: how do you get your
meteoroid to do a big right turn and head away from the sun
so that it can have an east-to-west motion over Russia?

--Rob