[meteorite-list] Meteorite over Russia

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:16:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi all -

So far, no fatalities, and though we have not heard as the severity of the injuries, they appear to be from glass shards, and treatable. Thus I tend to think of this as a low cost warning, and as something of a blessing.

My assumption is that money from fragment sales will go to a relief fund.

Given the ground effects, this one must have been pretty friable with a detonation at a higher altitude than average.

"Great Job you're doing there, Brownie."

"There have never been any cases of meteorites breaking up at such a low level over Russia before," said Yuri Burenko, head of the Chelyabinsk branch of the Emergencies Ministry. I know there are some Siberian separatists, but last I heard Siberia was still part of the Russian Federation.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas