[meteorite-list] Geological Survey of Canada fails to return piece of meteorite he discovered

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 20:04:18 -0500

Hi Ed and List,

I am a bit confused here. I didn't see the name of the meteorite
mentioned in the article, only that it was found in the Yukon in 1986.
 Is this an unclassified fall or find?

Also, a $1000 payout for a 243g meteorite works out to a mere $4/g -
which is pretty good for a highly-weathered ordinary chondrite find.
But a fresher, recent fall should fetch more than that.

Lastly, the guy sounds like some sort of conspiracy nut who claimed
GSC switched out his meteorite and gave him an imposter in return.
Then he demanded $12 million in damages, which was denied.

BTW - is the $1000 award tax-free?

Best regards,

MikeG

--