[meteorite-list] Holocene Start Impact Event Work

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 08:59:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul -

You have some strange ideas about what needs to be done and what you need to do yourself in regard to the Holocene Start Impact Event:

"It is nonsensical for Boslough et al. (2012) to have to
discuss every lake, ?paleolagoon,? ring igneous intrusion,
other geologic structure, or other feature that someone,
often on the basis of a quite vivid imagination, speculates
to be an Younger Dryas impact crater without offering a
single shred of hard evidence. The circular and even
noncircular lakes, structures, and other features that
people interpret to be impact craters are seemingly
endless and uncountable. In fact, Boslough et al. (2012)
did take the time and space to discuss the geologically
illiterate claim that the Great Lakes are in part impact
craters."

Well, first off, if it comes from Dennis Cox or Rich Murray, you may ignore it as delusional. If you want to point out to them that they are delusional, that is okay, but not required.

On the other hand, Pierson Baretta works with published materials and South American geologists, so you don't need to do anything there, either.

The Holocene Impact Working Group is formed out of geologists, and you are not required.

There is no question but that Firestone's initial geological work was really rotten. I particularly enjoyed your paraphrase of his hypothesis as it evolved; I did not enjoy going round and round over the confusion of the iron impacts with the cometary impacts.

But since then Firestone's gotten a lot of help. They now have their own geologists and labs.

It would help if Boslough et al read their work before publishing.

As far as my own work goes, well...

Parts of impactors will survive not only due to variants in explosive lensing; smaller following pieces will also survive if decelerated by the impact plume from the impact of a major piece.

But I do not want the meteorite collecting community searching for them (or for nearby artifacts) as they are not theirs, but rather belong to the First Nations.

I never wrote that article on the First Nations for Meteorite Magazine, and I do not want the collector community looking for Shawnee, Cherokee, Sioux, or Pawnee meteorites. If anyone wants to go and teach the young people what to look for, then that would be a good thing.

The same thing goes for the impactites. I do not need your help.

As far as both Boslough and Firestone go, they are both looking at the wrong progenitor, in my opinion. What the traditions tell is that the impactor source was the progenitor of Comet 21P. Now if any astronomer wants to back track Comet 21 P, that woud be fine. But as you are not an astronomer, your help is not needed there either.

I'd love to be in Tuscon so I could show you all the Shawnee meteorite artifacts I recovered, but the Great Spirit had other plans for me this winter. Perhaps next year.

Well, good hunting everyone,
and have a great show,

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas