[meteorite-list] 2013 Meteorite Website Pagerank Report

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 21:21:33 -0500

Greetings Meteorite Dealers,

Three years ago, I released my first report of Google Pageranks for
Meteorite Dealer Websites. If you missed it, I will briefly summarize
what it was. I tracked down the URL for every meteorite dealer I
could find - 89 of them. I then logged the Google Pagerank for all of
those websites. Finally, I gave some details about what Google
Pagerank (PR) is and why it is important for online sellers. I also
gave some advice on how to increase your site's PR.

In the three years since then, the meteorite world has undergone some
changes and Google has changed it's PR formula. Both of these things
are normal and inevitable. Google regularly tweaks it's PR formula to
combat PR-cheating and to optimize the value of their search results.
In essence, Google is constantly moving the goalposts, so to speak,
and they are very secretive about how their PR formula works - this
keeps web developers guessing and cheaters on their toes.

Well, in the three years since my report, meteorite websites have
taken a hit from Google. Apparently, Google does not think much of
meteorite dealers, because it has punished a good number of us with a
reduction in PR. Why? I have no idea, other than the fact that it
obviously has something to do with the change in formula.

I charged money for the last report. I am not going to charge for
this one because this is not a full-blown report like the first.
Also, I do not feel right charging for something that is not going to
clearly benefit the buyer. While the advice in my first report was
valid, Google decided to reduce many sites' PR for no apparent reason,
so much of my advice was in vain. (Although, much of the advice is
still good to consider.)

So, let us cut to the chase. Listed first is the Google PR for all of
the websites in the original 2010 report. Following that is a list of
the current PR for those same websites as of 2013. Lastly, I will add
some comments.

First, the 2010 list : (sorted by PR and alphabetized)

meteoritemarket.com - 6
meteoriticalsociety.org - 6
meteorcrater.com - 6
aerolite.org - 5
meteorites.asu.edu - 5
meteorite.com - 5
meteorite-times.com - 5
meteoritecentral.com - 5
meteorlab.com - 5
meteoritemen.com - 5
nyrockman.com - 5
imca.cc - 5
arizonaskiesmeteorites.com - 4
bimsociety.org - 4
encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com - 4
galactic-stone.com - 4
impactika.com - 4
kansasmeteorite.com - 4
meteoritesplus.com - 4
meteoriteman.com - 4
meteorites.com.au - 4
meteorites.com - 4
meteorites.tv - 4
meteoritehunter.com - 4
meteorite.fr - 4
meteoriteguy.com - 4
meteoritestudies.com - 4
meteorman.org - 4
meteoritelab.com - 4
meteorites-for-sale.com - 4
mhmeteorites.com - 4
michaelbloodmeteorites.com - 4
minresco.com - 4
mr-meteorite.net - 4
planetbrey.com - 4
spacerocksuk.com - 4
schoolersinc.com - 4
sv-meteorites.com - 4
bigkahuna-meteorites.com - 3
carionmineraux.com - 3
catchafallingstar.com - 3
chladnis-heirs.com - 3
fallingrocks.com - 3
fernlea.tripod.com - 3
haberer-meteorite.de - 3
illinoismeteorites.com - 3
jensenmeteorites.com - 3
lunarrock.com - 3
macovich.com - 3
marmet-meteorites.com - 3
meteoritecollector.org - 3
meteoris.de - 3
meteorite-lab.de - 3
meteorite-shop.com - 3
meteoritesusa.com - 3
meteorite-mirko.de - 3
meteorite-identification.com - 3
meteoritelabels.com - 3
meteoritefinder.com - 3
meteoritica.com - 3
nakhladogmeteorites.com - 3
nevadameteorites.com - 3
niger-meteorite-recon.de - 3
outofabluesky.com - 3
paleobond.com - 3
rocksonfire.com - 3
rocksfromspace.org - 3
rocksfromheaven.com - 3
saharamet.com - 3
smf.com.ar - 3
stevearnoldmeteorites.com - 3
spacerox.net - 3
star-bits.com - 3
tektiteinc.com - 3
wanderingstarmeteorites.com - 3
caspermeteorites.com - 2
cosmichighway.com - 2
kdmeteorites.com - 2
meteoriteblog.com - 2
meteoritenhaus.de - 2
mitterling.com - 2
strufe.net - 2
thetricottetcollection.com - 2
meteoriteclub.com - 1
qmig.net - 1
emeraldislemeteorites.com - 0
historicmeteorites.com - 0
mhcmagazine.com - 0
sahara-gems.com - 0

---
Now the 2013 list.  The first number is the 2010 PR.  The second
number in parentheses is the current 2013 PR.
meteoritemarket.com - 6 (5)
meteoriticalsociety.org - 6
meteorcrater.com - 6 (5)
aerolite.org - 5
meteorites.asu.edu - 5
meteorite.com - 5 (4)
meteorite-times.com - 5 (4)
meteoritecentral.com - 5 (4)
meteorlab.com - 5 (4)
meteoritemen.com - 5 (4)
nyrockman.com - 5 (4)
imca.cc - 5
arizonaskiesmeteorites.com - 4
bimsociety.org - 4
encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com - 4 (5)
galactic-stone.com - 4 (3)
impactika.com - 4
kansasmeteorite.com - 4 (3)
meteoritesplus.com - 4
meteoriteman.com - 4 (3)
meteorites.com.au - 4
meteorites.com - 4
meteorites.tv - 4
meteoritehunter.com - 4
meteorite.fr - 4
meteoriteguy.com - 4
meteoritestudies.com - 4
meteorman.org - 4 (3)
meteoritelab.com - 4 (3)
meteorites-for-sale.com - 4 (3)
mhmeteorites.com - 4 (3)
michaelbloodmeteorites.com - 4
minresco.com - 4
mr-meteorite.net - 4 (3)
planetbrey.com - 4 (3)
spacerocksuk.com - 4 (3)
schoolersinc.com - 4
sv-meteorites.com - 4
bigkahuna-meteorites.com - 3
carionmineraux.com - 3
catchafallingstar.com - 3 (4)
chladnis-heirs.com - 3 (0)
fallingrocks.com - 3
fernlea.tripod.com - 3
haberer-meteorite.de - 3
illinoismeteorites.com - 3 (2)
jensenmeteorites.com - 3
lunarrock.com - 3
macovich.com - 3
marmet-meteorites.com - 3
meteoritecollector.org - 3
meteoris.de - 3 (4)
meteorite-lab.de - 3 (2)
meteorite-shop.com - 3 (2)
meteoritesusa.com - 3 (2)
meteorite-mirko.de - 3 (2)
meteorite-identification.com - 3 (4)
meteoritelabels.com - 3
meteoritefinder.com - 3 (2)
meteoritica.com - 3
nakhladogmeteorites.com - 3
nevadameteorites.com - 3
niger-meteorite-recon.de - 3
outofabluesky.com - 3 (2)
paleobond.com - 3
rocksonfire.com - 3 (2)
rocksfromspace.org - 3 (0)
rocksfromheaven.com - 3 (0)
saharamet.com - 3 (0)
smf.com.ar - 3 (1)
stevearnoldmeteorites.com - 3 (0)
spacerox.net - 3 (2)
star-bits.com - 3
tektiteinc.com - 3 (0)
wanderingstarmeteorites.com - 3 (2)
caspermeteorites.com - 2 (1)
cosmichighway.com - 2 (0)
kdmeteorites.com - 2
meteoriteblog.com - 2 (3)
meteoritenhaus.de - 2
mitterling.com - 2 (0)
strufe.net - 2
thetricottetcollection.com - 2 (4)
meteoriteclub.com - 1 (0)
qmig.net - 1 (0)
emeraldislemeteorites.com - 0 (2)
historicmeteorites.com - 0 (2)
mhcmagazine.com - 0 (2)
sahara-gems.com - 0 (1)
---
Now for a little analysis.  In 2010, Eric Twelker's Meteorite Market
was the king of dealers in PR.  Eric's site ranked a 6, which is quite
high and was higher than any other meteorite dealer.  The only other
meteorite-related sites that ranked a 6 were the Meteoritical Society
and MeteorCrater.com.  This year, the only PR-6 meteorite website is
the Meteoritical Society.  Meteorite Market and MeteorCrater.com were
both demoted to PR-5.
The PR-5 group of websites shrank from nine to six.  Aerolite and
Meteorite Market are the only dealer sites that still have a PR-5.  If
I had to guess why, I would say this is because Geoff Notkin has a
television program and Meteorite Market is one of the oldest dealer
sites on the web.  Notoriety and longevity apparently go a long way
with PR.
The PR-5 group did gain a couple of new members - Meteorcrater.com is
now PR-5 and the Encyclopedia of Meteorites is also PR-5, a gain of
one over it's previous PR-4.
The PR-4 group saw the most change.  Many meteorite websites were
demoted to PR-3, but a few also improved and saw their PR increase to
four.  My own website, Galactic-Stone.com was one of the victims.  My
PR dropped from four to three.  This is despite the fact that I gained
several new high-PR backlinks and I greatly expanded the non-sale
content of my site.  I have thought long and hard about my drop in PR
and cannot explain it.  I obeyed all of the rules and did what a
webmaster is supposed to do to increase their PR without resorting to
cheating.  Many other websites suffered the same fate.  The following
sites dropped from PR-4 to PR-3 :
galactic-stone.com - 4 (3)
kansasmeteorite.com - 4 (3)
meteoriteman.com - 4 (3)
meteorman.org - 4 (3)
meteoritelab.com - 4 (3)
meteorites-for-sale.com - 4 (3)
mhmeteorites.com - 4 (3)
mr-meteorite.net - 4 (3)
planetbrey.com - 4 (3)
spacerocksuk.com - 4 (3)
(yes, even Bob Haag got hit.  If he gets demoted, what hope do the
rest of us have?  LOL)
Not all of the news is bad.  Some PR-3 sites were promoted to PR-4 :
catchafallingstar.com - 3 (4)
meteorite-identification.com - 3 (4)
thetricottetcollection.com - 2 (4)
Congratulations to Jim Strope and Dr. Arnaud Mignan for being amongst
the small group of sites that actually saw their PR increase.
Arnaud's jump of two points was the biggest gainer of the entire
group.  Nobody gained more than two points.
What was really interesting to me was how many websites saw their PR
decrease by two or more points.  Some sites were slammed with the
dreaded PR-0, which is the search engine kiss of death.
Sites that saw their PR decrease to PR-ZERO :
chladnis-heirs.com - 3 (0)
rocksfromspace.org - 3 (0)
rocksfromheaven.com - 3 (0)
saharamet.com - 3 (0)
stevearnoldmeteorites.com - 3 (0)
tektiteinc.com - 3 (0)
cosmichighway.com - 2 (0)
mitterling.com - 2 (0)
meteoriteclub.com - 1 (0)
qmig.net - 1 (0)
The reasons for a PR-0 are many, but it's usually a punishment handed
down by Google for sites that are caught cheating the PR system, or
for sites that are deemed to contain dangerous or illegal content.
Dangerous content can include viruses, malware, or links to sites
known for viruses or malware.  Another reason for PR-0 is a website
being brand new and unknown on the web.  Since none of these websites
are new, we can only assume their PR was penalized for some reason.
The PR-0 club is not a good place to be.  It knocks your website down
in the search results and hurts your overall traffic.  But, it's not a
permanent dungeon and sites can pull themselves out of the PR-0 hole.
Listed below are the sites that were promoted from PR-0 to a higher
ranking :
emeraldislemeteorites.com - 0 (2)
historicmeteorites.com - 0 (2)
mhcmagazine.com - 0 (2)
sahara-gems.com - 0 (1)
If your site is not listed above, you can check your PR at this link -
http://checkpagerank.net/
If your site has been penalized to PR-0, you might try contacting
Google and asking them why.  There might be a problem you are not
aware of and it could be fixed to restore your PR.
Let us hope that 2014 is kinder in terms of PR and meteorite dealers.  :)
Best regards and Happy Hosting,
MikeG
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/galacticstone