[meteorite-list] ADVERT: Subtype 3.00 — NO RESERVE

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:53:01 -0700

Hi Mendy,

Yes, NWA 7731 crust is quite fresh. The standard weathering grades for
ordinary chondrites based on the oxidation of iron-nickel-metal is
somewhat problematic for the most unequilibrated of the 3-subtypes
because the matrix is actually a very fine opaque mixture of sulfur
and iron that is hard to characterize for degree of weathering. In the
meantime, since it was classified, we have done oxygen isotopes on the
bulk sample and they are very heterogeneous (some actually plot on the
TFL) as one would expect based on the earlier work on Semarkona. There
has been ion probe and Raman done at Hawaii and some of this will be
reported at the 2014 LPSC -- I'll post the abstract when they are
published later this January. There is some indication that
extraterrestrial aqueous alteration has affected the matrix -- but
even Semarkona has some of this type of aqueous alteration. Subtypes
<3.00 ( like L2.9 etc.) are not used in OC even though some aqueous
alteration might be present. A while back Hutchison et al. (1987)
proposed that Semarkona is in fact LL2, but it doesn't seem like that
idea ever caught on.

Carl Agee
*************************************
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
MSC03 2050
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131-1126