[meteorite-list] The Year in Falls 2013

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:21:30 -0500

Hi Mike and List,

Too many falls vanish into obscurity and I am often left wondering
what the heck happened. Years later, everyone forgets them and they
are lost to science, collectors, and history. They are either
unrecovered and rotting in the field, or they are sitting in someone's
desk drawer, or what?

I cannot emphasize this enough - if you have a meteorite from an
unrecorded fall in your possession, please send a 20/20 sample to a
reputable institution for analysis and approval. For heaven's sake,
it's only 20 grams or 20% of the specimen - shave off a broken spot
and send it to the lab for crying out loud.

Chelyabinsk alone makes 2013 a great year for falls. Even if it was
the only fall of the year, I'd say it was a win for collectors and
science. In fact, Chelyabinsk is the "fall of the century" so far,
IMO.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

--