[meteorite-list] Cassini Observes Meteors Colliding With Saturn's Rings

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:19:05 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, Chris,
the IAU has already formalized that definition of "meteor".
It did so back in 1961.
I've explained what I mean by all of this in my article:

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2008/mar08.htm

Apparently, a well-respected astronomer wrote a popular book soon after the 1961 General Assembly met and the XI Committee of the IAU formalized the definitions of meteoroid, meteor, and meteorite. The author defined those same terms in his book, stating that the definitions came from the IAU, except that he clearly changed the definition of "meteor".

Apparently, this author departed from the IAU definition of "meteoroid", including it as the object which produces the light display (meteor). Whereas, the IAU definition of meteoroid is that it orbits the Sun, and that when this same body enters the influence of the Earth (it is no longer orbiting the Sun) that object is now termed a "meteor".

So, in recap, IAU definitions: Meteoroid to Meteor to Meteorite
but the author's misdefinition: Meteoroid to Meteorite

>From that point forward to the present, the wrong definition has been perpetuated.

--Bob V.