[meteorite-list] Mbale AD / Ugandan sues U.S. over meteorite

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:05:33 -0600

> So you're saying a half-million a gram is too much for Mbale? All sales of
> Mbale are hereby suspended....yada yada yada!
>

> Phil Whitmer
> Joshua Tree Earth & Space Museum

Wow... a 5kg piece, worth "billions or trillions"? Good grief!

Well then, I'll offer up some nice Mbale slices, before the prices
skyrocket! ;^)
I recently came across a nice Mbale L5/6 stone and have had some very nice
slices taken off one end. One face was broken, so they have about a 60%
crusted edge. Some excellent shock veins are prominent throughout each of
the slices. Average weight is around 5 grams and they measure about
35x18x2.5mm.
I took these with me to Tucson and sent several home with very happy buyers,
but I have a few left, so I'll offer them now. Let me know if you're
interested
and I'll send you some photos.
I really like the story behind this witnessed fall and think these slices
are really sweet. The stone was featured on the January 10 MPOD.
Thank you for your consideration.
Linton

TKW 150kg. Observed fall: 1992 August 14, Mbale, Uganda.

The fall occurred in a heavily populated area in and around the city of
Mbale. A loud explosion was heard which persisted for some time as a
rumbling noise. For about two minutes a grayish-white smoke trail was seen.
A meteorite shower fell over an area of about 3 x 7 km. The stones hit
several buildings, and a boy was harmlessly hit in the head with a small 3
gm stone which had been slowed down considerably by its passage through a
canopy of banana leaves (making this fall, along with Sylacauga, one of only
two verifiable incidents of a meteorite striking a human being).
The Ugandan military and other citizens took it upon themselves to break
many of the stones, grind up the material into a fine powder and drink it
with liquid, as it was assumed that their god had sent a cure for AIDS to
them from the skies.