[meteorite-list] "I've been a miner for a heart of ....

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 15:39:16 -0700

As long as we're being serious, Jeff has zeroed in on the most valuable
property of asteroids -- water. Until and unless manufacturing occurs off
the Earth, it is unlikely that PGE mining of asteroids will be
cost-effective. But as humans again start exploring space beyond low Earth
orbit, water will be a highly valuable commodity. Capturing carbonaceous
asteroids that contain 8-12 wt.% water will enable manned missions, where to
some extent, astronauts could live off the land like old-time invading
armies. If we could also learn to eat asteroids and use them for fuel, that
would be a great energy savings -- much less mass would have to be lifted
off the Earth.
Alan

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567