[meteorite-list] New BLM regs: Tempest in a teacup?

From: Pat Brown <scientificlifestyle_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 20:48:59 -0700

Hi Norm and the List,?

Norm, I agree with you that for those of us who are not interested in selling the?
meteorites that we find on BLM land the 'new' rules are not a problem. In fact the?
new rules explicitly grant ownership (with some limits about selling or bartering)?
of the first 9.999 pounds of meteorites to the finder.

The general rule stating that 'the meteorite belongs to the land owner' could easily be?
interpreted?as all meteorites found on all federal lands belong to the US government.?
This 'new' rule says that with some limitations the meteorite belongs to the finder.?

For the?professional hunters who want to profit from their finds, there is a clear route to?
be able to be able to do so. I hate bigger government and more rules in general. However,?
if I were to sell, I would want to know that I could do so without a governmental claim of
ownership. Yes, there is some paperwork and delay.?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,?

Are finds made before the 'new' rule exempt of the selling/bartering requirement?