[meteorite-list] Enstatite Connection to Mercury

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:23:38 -0600

Pete,

That's right, no evidence for an angrite composition on the surface of
Mercury -- at least not yet. Angrites have far too much FeO in the
silicates to match the spectra of Mercury. Also, angrites are among
the oldest igneous rocks in the solar system (SAH 99555 is probably
the oldest known igneous rock), and you would expect to see somewhat
younger ages from a planet (like Mercury or Mars) or even a large body
like our Moon -- it takes millions of years to differentiate and form
a crust.

Who knows, maybe some aubrites are from Mercury, or maybe we need to
keep searching!

Best regards,

Carl Agee

--
Carl B. Agee
Director and Curator, Institute of Meteoritics
Email: agee at unm.edu
http://meteorite.unm.edu/people/carl_agee/
Message: 2