[meteorite-list] Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) Mohave desert risk for meteorite hunters and rockhounders et al

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:53:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi Larry and All,

My wife, Joan and I, were both raised in Southern Nevada. We discovered about twenty years ago, when Valley Fever became the "new " disease on the block with the main stream media, that we had been infected with it as children and recovered without knowning we had been ill.

We lost one of our Dobermann Pinschers to Valley Fever seven years ago and didn't realize what it was till he was terminal. Since then we have had most of the family tested (Another three out of fifteen were positive including Joan's 99 year old mother.) We are careful to tell visitors to try and not move about in dusty conditions and inhale particulates, but it is almost impossible for a person to live here and avoid doing that.

The symptoms in most healthy mature humans aren't usually severe enough to get attention and if one does get the spores, there is an antifungal that will help suppress it.

But, your right. Live in the desert long enough and you'll be infected.

Regards,

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536