[meteorite-list] New BLM Rules - Proposition 120

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 18:39:04 -0700 (PDT)

That's true.? I understand your perspective.? It's?very difficult to deal with other states when you don't vote here.? In fact it costs much more to hunt game as a non-resident.

But my point is?it's not my job to change policy in other states.??I need to worry about getting things done at home.

Non-Arizonans don't have to lobby the state about meteorite rules, Arizonans need to carry the burden for that.? Your help is very welcome, but it is us who face the greater hardship?if our land rules suck.??Much more than someone who wants to come here?a couple times a?year.? I don't have to lobby Nevada, Nevadans will worry about how the state of Nevada makes the rules.? Maybe we can work together and come up with some universal guidelines like how most states adopt other state's zoning guidelines, safety standards, etc.

The fact of the matter is I have had better luck talking face-to-face with the State Land Director and Arizona Game & Fish officials, than I have had with Feds in DC.? I haven't had much luck with state officials in Idaho or Maine, but that doesn't really affect my life much.? I will worry about Arizona and let the others worry about meteorite hunting in Idaho or elsewhere.

Working with the locals, I have better luck getting a state-wide hunting permit, than I do getting a state-wide meteorite permit with the BLM.? Right now you have to get a license with all the different BLM areas.? I just need one hunting and fishing license in Arizona.

I agree, the USGS are very helpful, but it's their job to help with information gathering.? The BLM, FWS, etc. don't want to budge when they think their job is?saving the world.

I have recreated on Arizona State Land, USFS and BLM land all my life.? I have only been hassled on Fed land.? I can only speak for myself and my family.? No doubt others have had bad experiences on state land.? I have never had any problem.

Regardless of what I think, there is very little chance the Feds will give up their land (unless they go bankrupt and need to sell off a few things to make good on the $16T debt.).

Mark